Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gavali Dev trail in Mahape 11 Dec 2010

Hi Friends,

Saturday morning I went to Gavali Dev Train in Mahape, being very close to my office I always plan to go there which materialized yesterday. I had to work in night shift on Friday so taking advantage I decided to go for this trail. I started at 8:00 AM in the morning. It was bit cloudy and nicely cool...

Gavali Dev Temple Location : http://wikimapia.org/#lat=19.1284033&lon=73.022089&z=17&l=0&m=b

Route to temple starts with few stairs directly from the road, later on its proper broad stonned pavement and which turns into normal jungle routes as we proceed. The jungle here is not dense and one can take whatever route he wants. trail becomes bit steep as we near the waterfall, water is almost gone, just very small stream like that of tap water is remaining. Trail route goes from side of waterfall and then climbs over waterfall and then crosses. there is quite wide rocky area from where i guess waterfall floods in rainy season. there is small temple construction but is incomplete and at the begining of water fall there are rocks with orange colored now becomes gods. The route becomes small foot route and there is one good Well, I stopped at this point and returned. After coming down on same route till waterfall, i followed waterfall route instead of trail.

As soon as I started walking on trail i can see many small birds movement in bushes, and chirping all around giving indication of lot many birds. But those are very difficult to spot and even difficult to catch on camera.

Being new to birding i saw very few birds and able to shoot only few for record. With some experienced birder I hope we can see lot more birds here.

Following are the birds I saw

- Plain Prinia
- Ashy Prinia
- Tickel's Blue Fly Catcher
- Purple Sunbird - Male & Female
- Purple Rumpered Sunbird - Male
- Common Iora
- Greater Coucal
- Common Tailor bird
- Jungle Babbler
- Red vented Bulbul
- White whiskered Bulbul
- Rufous Asian Paradise Flycatcher
- Oriental Honey Bazzard
- Black Shouldered Kite
- Some specie of Bush Warblers (???)
- Scaly Breasted Munia (On Main Road not on trail)

Also splotted one small hen like bird which was quite similar to Waterhen, but couldn't get clear view.

Following are the few snaps i am able to get, those are just for record purpose.
-
Plain Prinia :

Some Bush Warbler : Id confirmation required...

Purple Sunbird male :
Rufuos Asian Paradise Flycatcher
Oriental Honey Buzzard
Black Shouldered Kite
Scaly Breasted Munia


Regards
Sameer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Report. how to reach Gavali dev? i have heard of it but not sure. is it Nocil water fall area?
I work in Mhape in MBP.
Please share details.
contact_vivek@yahoo.com
Thanks
Vivek

Anonymous said...

Hi Sammer its nice seeing your blogs and snaps and more specifically the local areas you travel for bird watching and all. It's seems like you are intertest more in Nature, so am I. To tell me about me I am Soft Engg, but I like photography more. Whenever I get the chance i roam near by to Mumbai location ,ike forts and some other area for Nature Photography. If you wish would love to show some of my work. I'll appreciate and would love to join you guys for the same. If you feel ok with this you can reach me at... abhipn27@gmail.com

Good Work Sammer! Keep it up!
w
Thanks,
Abhijit